1936 The YMCA Board approved a plan to allow the Y’s Men’s Service Club of the Green Bay YMCA to sign off on a loan to purchase 10 acres of land on Chute Pond in Oconto County. Buildings were designed and a few started by Mr. and Mrs. Fohnfarek, the Oconto County Sheriff.
1937 The cabins were finished along with the first Dining Hall which was a small square cabin that later acted as the Trail Building.
July 14, 1937 was the first day for Y-Camp. “It was a cloudy, drizzly day in July when 31 boys climbed out of a dingy railroad car in the middle of the Nicolet National Forest and began hiking a long, rough, winding trail to a small clearing at the south end of Chute Pond."
1942 The waterfront was cleared to improve the safety of the swimming area. The Athletic Field was also cleared.
1951 Electricity came to Camp for the first time!
1952 The first all-girls session was established. It ran for two weeks at the end of summer with only girls in the camp.
1953 The name U-Nah-Li-Ya was adopted. It was intended to mean “place of friends” in local native dialect. This was a meaningful expression for the experiences that created the camp culture desired by the Green Bay YMCA.
1959-1960 Eight new Cabins were built on the west side of Camp, starting the second generation of Cabins for Camp U-Nah-Li-Ya. These were winterized to accommodate the new business of Environmental Awareness Education (now Outdoor Environmental Education) and weekend business.
1961 The “Green Latrine” housed the first flush toilets in Camp.
1965 Two cabins were built to begin the development of the east side of camp. This added cabins to the expanding year 'round programs, and created a “girls” side of camp.
1969 After two years of planning and building, the Dining Hall was completed and started operating year 'round food service.
1971-1972 Camp built more east side cabins, a new trail/crafts building, and a sled hill.
1977 The first maintenance shop was built.
1981 The Y’s Men’s Earth Lodge Shelter was built.
1998 A partnership grant and a gift from the Y’s Men’s Club built the high ropes course.
2000 The Kress Chapel was built.
2009 The water front was rennovated in a project that included docks, boats, sea wall, and inflatables.
2012 Camp and the Green Bay Y celebrate 75 years of serving youth and families all year long through summer resident camp and tripping, Outdoor Environmental Education and Adventure Leadership programs, Y-Family Camp programs, and weekend rentals and retreats.
And as always, we look forward to more fun, more memories, and more friendships in the future.